24 April 2011

The Best Dive Bar in Denver, According to Someone Else

What does it mean to be the best dive bar?  Does that mean it didn't suck as bad as it could have?  Or maybe that it is so seedy that the bums are looking uncomfortable?  Its like saying 'yeah, that was the best hernia I ever got'.  Even though I was a bit confused, I did take a moment to read the recent online article from Westword, proclaiming the Denver's best dive bar in 2011 to be The Kentucky Inn.  I'd love to be able to lambast Westword about their choice, but have to admit that the Kentucky Inn is not one that I've had the pleasure of enjoying.


It must be dive bar season at Westword, because they followed up with another article about the Five Best Dive Bars in Denver (actually 4 plus the Kentucky; I guess just naming the best one wasn't enough), and this post that attempted to digest the reader comments Westword received from people arguing about why the Westword picks were junk, and what constitutes a dive in the first place.  I am not 100% sure why I am regurgitating all of Westword's work, maybe I am just lazy and feel like posting other peoples crap instead of my own.  Actually I do have a point, which goes back to the Westword comment board: To start a discussion about the age-old question that needs to be answered before anyone can put their claim on knowing what's best:  What is a dive?  Just a joint that could use a good cleaning?  A place in a rough neighborhood?  Is it limited to bars?  And what does PBR have to do with it?  All these questions and more will be answered in my next post - The Dive Manifesto.  Stay tuned. 

No comments: